Current and Recent Projects
Director, Coventry: Development and delivery of Artspace’s artistic (ARC) and organisational development programme involving artists, audiences and communities, the evaluation of which will shape the organisation’s collaborative business plan and artistic vision for the future.
In addition to leading on development and fundraising for the programme, I’m also delivering it which includes commissioning artists, recruitment of staff, commissioning of freelance evaluators and volunteering specialists, stakeholder partnership management and reportage in addition to organising and supporting events.
The ARC programme includes 5 Artist Research Commissions (ARC), a symposium, evaluation and development of a new volunteering scheme.
AIRMAIL / авиапочта
Curator, Coventry, Volgograd: Airmail / aviapochta is an exhibition of art work and research from eight Coventry artists that I’m curating for Coventry City Council and the Museum of Fine Arts in Volgograd, Russia. The exhibition will complement a programme of formal conversations between myself and Volgograd’s curators, artists and city officials about the ongoing opportunities for artistic collaborations between our twinned cities.
Coventry City Council Arts Development Services www.coventry.gov.uk/arts
Director. Coventry: Leading delivery of Coventry City Council’s Arts Development Services for Coventry Artspace. Contract including strategic planning and partnerships and a range of hands-on projects including support for artists and organisations, hosting of physical and online networks, management of the City’s Small Arts Grant scheme, partnership projects and commissioning, delivery and implementation of Coventry City Council’s Strategic Arts Policy 2012-2015.
Project Manager and Artist, Rockingham, Northamptonshire: working with a group of residents and volunteers to research, devise and deliver imaginative projects celebrating the history of Rockingham’s Victorian school-room-cum-village-hall and the local area.
Void Space Art http://creativecity.posterous.com
Project Manager. Coventry City: Initiating programmes of artist-led activity in Coventry’s empty Council owned premises. Partnership working with Citywide and National partners including Empty Shops Network, fundraising, reportage, press and PR. Recently submitted Coventry’s Portas Pilot bid (£100k) in collaboration with 4 of Coventry’s leading arts organisations: Theatre Absolute, Talking Birds, Mercurial Dance and Mindriot Productions and the City Council.
Artspace Building Management and Refurbishment www.coventry-artspace.co.uk
Project Manager. Coventry: Delivery of Arts Council and private trust funded DDA compliant building refurbishment. On-site management of budget (£250,000) and schedule with surveyors, contractors. Ongoing liaison with funders.
Ongoing management of Artspace building, a former Friends Meeting House built at the turn of the last century. Now owned by Local Authority and rented at low-cost by Coventry Artspace.
Project 42 www.project42site.org
Project Manager and Artist: Birmingham: Organising and delivering week-long art/heritage residency project for 40 participants created by Talking Birds at mac (formerly Midlands Arts Centre). Performances and installations in bespoke sheds inspired by 1960’s volunteer ‘work-camps’ where international volunteers built areas of the Midlands Arts Centre during their summer breaks. Planning, organisation and delivery of project and residency holder.
Project Planning and Delivery
- Developed, planned and implemented projects across a broad range of themes with a variety of partners ranging from 3 months – 3 years.
- Facilitated strategic and financial company planning with Coventry Artspace Board, staff and partners.
- Developed, curated and organised funded festivals and events and yearlong programmes of activity.
- Organised collaborative events and projects, generated technical specifications, and Health & Safety reports, purchased insurances and implemented systems for checking other/ongoing procedures.
- Led projects with Local Authority and dealt with Public Liability Insurance and CRB checking.
- Delivered and reported on projects funded by a range of sources including ESF, LSC, ACE and HLF.
Management & Partnership Building
- Management and support of Coventry Artspace staff, freelance professionals and volunteers. Staff meetings, appraisals, review and evaluation processes. Development and induction of Artspace Board of Trustees: charitable status application, recruitment, interviews, monthly Board meetings, ongoing reportage, actioning recommendations.
- Support and facilitation of Artspace membership. Production of Artspace newsletter, regular e-updates and round ups (weekly). Hosting and facilitation of regular membership and sub-group meetings.
- Creation of ‘Curators of History’, a new history group for residents and people interested in the history of Rockingham. Programming, hosting and facilitation of meetings.
- Translation of facilitated membership discussions into a range of artistic, educational and CPD projects. Development of projects with members and partners, external fundraising, project delivery, reportage and evaluation.
- Co-hosting of creative network Pecha Kucha Coventry – http://pkncoventry.posterous.com
- Contributor to the Coventry Contemporary Art Forum www.coventryart.co.uk and the Contemporary Visual Art Network (TPWM, EMVAN)
- Co-host of Emerge Partnership creative network (Coventry City Council, Institute for Creative Enterprise and Coventry University – www.coventry.ac.uk/ice
- Co-ordination and support of Coventry Artspace membership network and committees, physical and online including regular updating of the Artspace website – www.coventry-artspace.co.uk
- Attend national events, networks and conferences, speaking and contributing as required on a regular basis.
Professional and Personal Development
- 2013 – Advisory Panel Member of Turning Point West Midlands (regional contemporary visual arts network).
- 2013 – Speaker. Rotary Club Coventry.
- 2011 – Interviewee. Clore Leadership Programme.
- 2009 – Present. Member by Invitation – City of Coventry Ambassadors Group.
- 2009 – Attendee – Red Teapot Day National Conference for Artists, Coventry.
- 2007 Your Space Training Residential – Space Development and Management Course.
- 2006 OCN Training and Facilitation Skills.
- 2005 Gateway to Growth Learning Champion Sessions.
- 2004 NIACE Learning Champion Conference.
- October 2009-Present: Director: Coventry Artspace Limited.
- 2007-October 2009: Artists Co-ordinator: Coventry Artspace Limited.
- 2004-2007: Network and Development Co-ordinator: Arts Training Central, Leicester.
- 2004-Present: Artistic and Heritage Project Management and Consultancy: Freelance.
Education and Qualifications
- 2001-2004: The Nottingham Trent University: BA (Hons) Contemporary Arts.
- 1999-2001: Northampton College, Booth Lane, Northampton. BTEC General Art and Design: Including Modules in Photography, Print Making, Textile Design, Sculpture.